Indoor Hydroponic AeroGarden Farms Update
I noticed that the 1 gallon water bottles that supply the trays for the Romaine Lettuce, Broccoli, Swiss Chard, Cauliflower, and Kale that are in robust growth mode were all empty. I refilled the water bottles, and then measured the pH and dissolved solids (DS). Based on the results, I added more plant food for two of the trays before their scheduled feeding. I also harvested some Swiss Chard, Kale, and Arugula since the leaves were blocking the smaller plants in the trays.
AeroGarden Farm 02, Right Tray, Day 38. Romaine Lettuce (seed pods from AeroGarden). All plants are growing robustly. A second batch of leaves harvested yesterday (used for Caesar Salad). I noticed that the tops of some leaves were turning black. Research said to check pH (4.34) and dissolved solids (381 ppm). The pH should be between 5.5 and 6.5, and the dissolved solids between 500-700 ppm. So I added plant food before the next scheduled feeding in 4 days. The pH is now 5.7.
AeroGarden Farm 03, Left Tray, Day 38. Broccoli, Swiss Chard, and Arugula (seeds from Botanical Interests). All Broccoli plants sprouted, but growth for two are being crowded by the Swiss Chard plant. Only one of the Swiss Chard plants sprouted, and is growing robustly. It was moved to position L10. Positions L03-L06 were plugged. The Arugula in position L11 an L12 came from a different Farm tray. After the picture was taken, harvested leaves from the Swiss Chard and Arugula plants. Measured the pH (6.16) and dissolved solids (312 ppm). The pH was OK (should be between 5.5 and 6.5), but the dissolved solids were low (should be between 500 and 700). So added plant food before the next scheduled feeding in 4 days.
AeroGarden Farm 03, Right Tray, Day 38. Cauliflower, Kale, and Cilantro (seeds from Botanical Interests). All Cauliflower plants sprouted, and are growing robustly. Two of the three Kale plants sprouted, and are growing. All Cilantro plants sprouted but are growing slowly. The Kale was moved to positions R07-R08 and will try to start another Kale plant for position R09. The Cilantro was moved to the front three positions R10-R12. Positions R04-R06 were plugged to allow more space for the Cauliflower and Kale. Measured the pH (6.50) and dissolved solids (562 ppm). The pH and dissolved solids were OK, so will wait until the next scheduled feeding. The cauliflower plant at R02 leaves were turning brown, so it was removed. The Cilantro plants are growing slowly and were being crowded by the larger Kale plants so were moved to a different Farm tray.
AeroGarden Farm 04, Right Tray, Day 14. The Basil at position R01 is doing well. The other Basil, Chives, Dill, Parsley, and Thyme plants are much smaller. The Oregano and Rosemary plants did not sprout. Measured the pH (4.89) and dissolved solids (747 ppm). The bowl was drained and refilled with 8.7 L rain water and 16 mL plant food. Measured the pH (5.89) and dissolved solids (525 ppm).
Daily Electric Energy Used (63.2 kWh) from Sense and Daily Solar Electric Energy Produced (7.1 kWh) from SolSystems and Locus Energy. Clouds and rain most of the morning. At this time of the year the sun is lower, and the Sycamore tree leaves shadow the solar panels in the afternoon. Overall a net deficit of 56.1 kWh.
Weekly Electric Energy Used (427 kWh) from Sense and Weekly Solar Electric Energy Produced (176 kWh) from SolSystems and Locus Energy. Overall a net deficit of 251 kWh. Of that 158 kWh is due to the new hydroponic systems.
Current Weather Conditions
powered by Ambient Weather