The remnants of Hurricane Michael blew through last night with about 0.45 inches (11 mm) of rain. The temperature dropped to the mid 60’s, and this morning the sky was clear with a bright sun. Today may be the first day this month that my solar panels generate more electricity that I use. Alan and Lincoln installed the railings for the rear door landing to the patio. Still more to do, but the project is getting a lot closer to being complete. While they were working on the railings I mowed the lawn, and got some pictures of a Monarch Butterfly in my Zinnia patch.
Garmin VIRB-360 Time-Lapse Video (360 degree panorama, little planet, tunnel view) 720p 24p.
Individual images in the slideshow can be viewed here.
House Renovation: Outside Panorama and Little Planet Views
Two-years ago, I set up the Mindrain Astro motion control head to take 360 degree images of my backyard to document some of the exterior house renovation project. I converted these into time-lapsed videos. I’ve now reprocessed the images to create 360 degree Panorama and Little Planet views of the work in progress.
Home Renovation Project: Exterior Views at the Project Beginning
Time-lapsed 360 degree videos of the front and back yard. The images were taken with a Nikon D3 camera and 28 mm f/1.8 lens (ISO 200, 28 mm, f/11, 1/60 sec) for the front yard or a Df camera and 16-35 mm f/4 lens (ISO 200, 35 mm, f/16, 1/60 sec) for the backyard. An Astro controller was used to rotate and control the camera, taking ~ 1200 pictures while doing a 360 degree circle over a period of 15 minutes. The time-lapsed video was created using Photoshop CC and Premier Pro CC.
In the videos you can see a neighbor vacuuming up the fallen autumn leaves to cover his daffodils for the winter. These videos also show the exterior of the house before the renovation project got started. Since then the roof was replaced, solar panels installed, garage door replaced, copper gutters installed, new siding installed, the deck removed and replaced with a stone patio, and the french doors replaced.
Home Renovation Project – Wall Print Mounting System
I was testing some ideas for a wall system for mounting fine-art prints in my house. The goal was a system where prints could easily be exchanged and moved around. I first tried using flexible 3M magnetic tape. The magnetic strength for the tape was not enough to hold up 13″ x 19″ prints. I then tried strips of cold-rolled steel (1″ x 0.125″ x 72″). This is the prototype system that I installed in my laundry room worked. Since then I made some modifications, and have installed seven (2 to 4 meter) sections in other rooms as part of the home renovation project.