Snow is forcasted for early next week. I finished assembling the DR-Power leaf vacuum and connecting it to my John Deere lawn tractor. I added ~ 1.1 L of 5W 30 Mobil One oil and filled the gas tank. It took a few minutes to start the engine. I am happy I got the electric starter option. Between the noise from the tractor motor and the leaf vacuum motor, I decided I needed to be wearing hearing protection. Even though the grass and leaves were a bit damp, the majority were picked up. I also learned the hard way to check to see if the leaf collector was full. I kept going until the leaves were not being sucked up. Then when I checked found that the trailer was not only full, but over full. Compare the 2nd and 3rd video… It was very difficult to empty the trailer, and I had to dig a good portion out. I managed to collect three trailers full of leaves that are being used to start a new mulch pile. I will go out again tomorrow to finish the job, and to assemble the snow-blower attachment for the DR-Power Field and Brush mower.
Daily Electric Energy Used (74.1 kWh) from Sense and Daily Solar Electric Energy Produced (9.4 kWh) from SolSystems and Locus Energy. Cloudy all day. Overall a net deficit of 64.7 kWh.
Snow is forcasted for early next week, and I still have some outside end of season projects that need to be completed. While using the DR-Power Field and Brush mower a couple of weeks ago, two bolts holding the disk brake pads fell off. Since it was only the 2nd time I had used the mower, the company sent me replacement parts. I needed to get this fixed so I can install the snow-blower attachment. I also needed to make a custom attachment to connect the DR-Power Lawn Vacuum to my John Deere lawn tractor. They provide a generic attachment that needs to be cut to fit my mower. Some assembly required. I spent the afternoon in the garage working on these two projects and used a Garmin VIRB-360 camera to make a Little Planet view Time-lapse video. Tomorrow, I will connect the lawn tractor to the leaf vacuum and make sure it works.
Daily Electric Energy Used (70.1 kWh) from Sense and Daily Solar Electric Energy Produced (30.6 kWh) from SolSystems and Locus Energy. Overall a net deficit of 39.5 kWh.
Some assembly required. Recorded with a Garmin VIRB-360 camera for a four minute time-lapse video.
Daily Electric Energy Used (72.0 kWh) from Sense and Daily Solar Electric Energy Produced (37.9 kWh) from SolSystems and Locus Energy. More sun than yesterday, but getting colder. Overall a net deficit of 34.1 kWh. Geothermal HVAC to heat the house (6.2 kWh), Laundry (4.7 kWh), Hydroponics (22.5 kWh), Computers and Servers (20.7 kWh), Kitchen (2.7 kWh).
Before it started raining, I used the DR Field and Brush mower to clear more of the wildflower meadows and sections next to the house. I left the section with the Marigold flowers and Lemon Mint flowers as there are still bees and bumblebees working the flowers. Also the deer ignore these plants. Later in the afternoon, it started raining followed by heavy winds.
Daily Electric Energy Used (54.1 kWh) from Sense and Daily Solar Electric Energy Produced (7.6 kWh) from SolSystems and Locus Energy. Heavy clouds and rain, not much solar power. Overall a net deficit of 46.6 kWh.
The DR Field and Brush mower arrived yesterday. The truck driver left the pallet containing the mower at the top of the driveway. Some assembly required. The mower deck is pretty heavy. I moved everything in front of the house. Attached the deck to the power unit, fitted the drive belt, filled the engine with 5W-30 oil, and the filled the gas tank. Once I figured out where the gas shutoff valve was, the motor started right up. One of the reasons I chose this model is I can remove the mower deck and install a snow blower attachment. Once the unit was running, the first task was to burnish the brakes and clutch before taking it back to mow a section of the back yard. I also go the Roto-tiller to work on one of the wildflower meadows for next year. Didn’t get much done as the forward v-belt seems to be loose. Some of these activities were recorded on a Garmin VIRB-360 camera for a Time-lapse video.
Daily Electric Energy Used (53.3 kWh) from Sense and Daily Solar Electric Energy Produced (25.8 kWh) from SolSystems and Locus Energy. Less sun than yesterday. Overall a net deficit of 27.5 kWh.