Two of the Burma water-bottle gourds in my wildflower meadow flowered today. It seem like they open at night when the moon is nearly full. I don’t know if a night moth is needed to fertilize to get one of the gourds. The one planted over a year ago in Florida produced a gourd over 1 meter in length. The image of the flower is behind a nylon mesh that I hope will keep it protected from the deer tonight.
A Tiger Swallowtail Butterfly on a Cosmos Flower in my wildflower meadow.
The Clearwing Hummingbird Moths appear to like the purple delphinium flowers in my backyard wildflower meadow.
The deer keep sniffing around my wildflower meadow. There are several young fawns with spots that pass through the yard with their herd every day. I don’t mind when they eat the grass. Many more wildflower pictures, several with bumblebees working the flowers. I was pleasantly surprised to see a Clearwing Hummingbird Moth. It is smaller than others that I have seen, so it may be the Snowberry Clearwing Moth. The other interesting thing I saw in the garden were Japanese beetles that appear to be eating the hated “mile-a-minute” vine that has become invasive. As long as the Japanese beetles don’t eat too many of the wildflower plants, I am going to leave them alone.
I have been taking pictures of the backyard wildflower meadow, but have not been keeping up with processing the images. I’ve also been juggling several home renovation projects. Someday, I need to share pictures of the inside projects. The outside patio is also moving along.
The weather held, and I got a second chance to capture an image of the fireflies flashing in my backyard. This time I set up two cameras, reduced the aperture (so a greater distance would be in focus), increased the ISO to increase the brightness (dealt with the increased noise in post processing), and set the focus distance to ~70 feet (locking the focus ring with gaffer tape). This time the composite images were better. I will try again tomorrow.
Fireflies in my backyard. Composite of 110 images taken with a Nikon D3s camera and 600 mm f/4 VR lens. I liked this image, and used the camera parameters to help my efforts to get better images tonight.
A different type of Black-eyed Susan with a red circle showed up in the small wildflower meadow I planted last year. I didn’t add any new seeds to this section this year, so the flowers that are showing up are either perennials, bi-annuals, or got reseeded from last years flowers. So far the flowers that appeared in this section include (sort of by date) Italian (Crimson) Clover, several types of Poppies, several types of Daisies, Bachelor Buttons (Cornflowers), and now two types of Black-eyed Susan. Just before the Daisies started to bloom, a deer got in and nibbled on the flower buds. Since then I put up a seven foot mesh (not electrified).
It was relatively dark out, and I could see a large number of fireflies out my backyard. I set up a camera, and took a series of images which I used to create a nearly two hour composite image. I am not happy that all of the fireflies were out of focus — I didn’t guess right with the distance from the camera and/or the focus dial moved as I was setting the camera up in the dark. Weather permitting I am going to try again tomorrow night.