This is the second one of my indoor succulent plants to send up a shoot with tiny red flowers. I think the succulent may be some type of Sempervivum (Hen & Chicks). I have been told that once a Hen blooms, that it will die, and the Chicks will take over. In addition to the image of the full plant, I have blown up (cropped) the image for a closer view of the flowers. I will try to do some macro images of the small flowers.
I had been hearing loud noises in my basement. When I went down to investigate, found this mutant giant camel cricket. I don’t know what it has been eating to get this big, and cause it to glow in the dark. Maybe the radon seeping up from the Reading Prong???
While hand washing the dishes, I noticed a large number of bubbles in one pot. As I moved the colors kept changing. I assumed it was due to diffraction of a mono-molecular layer of soap. but wasn’t sure if I was going to be able to take an image that would capture the beauty of the colors, and the symmetry of the bubble packing. After a lot of trial and error, I was able to obtain some interesting images.
Backyard Autumn Night Sky in New Jersey — Star Trails
View looking south from my backyard. Night sky star and jet trails. Composite of 173 images taken with a Nikon D810a camera and 24 mm f/3.5 PC-E lens (ISO 200, 24 mm, f/8, 120 sec). Images processed with Capture One Pro (including conversion to B&W), then the composite generated using Photoshop CC (statistics, maximum). If you look closely, there is at least one meteor trail.
Backyard spring nature in New Jersey. The rabbit in my wildflower garden started nibbling on the Italian (Crimson) clover. The Italian clover was part of the wildflower mixture. I also saw a groundhog brushing its teeth with some rebar, a robin in the rain, and a squirrel with a nut. All of the wildlife images were taken from within the house. Later on I went out with a macro lens to capture some flower pictures.
I have been using Helicon Focus to make composite focus stacked images for several years. It is great for doing macro images with much more depth of field than can be done with single images. I spent the day doing some focus stacked images on some small cactus flowers. The images were taken with a Nikon Df camera and 105 mm f/2.8 VR macro lens. The camera was set up on a tripod on with a linear tracking head. The first set was with 13 images, in 5 mm intervals — which wasn’t enough. The second set was 24 images over 9 cm. That one looked better. I then added a TCE-3 III teleconverter (converting the focal length to 210 mm). The camera was set closer and did 33 images over 9 cm. The slide-show below shows all of the images. It includes one image from each set at a single distance. To see the individual images check here
I must have been bored, so did some autofocus testing with some of my lenses. The goal was to see which lens was able to focus on Alexander Hamilton, and provide a sharp enough image to make out the microprint security feature on his shoulder. All of the images were taken with a Nikon D300 camera. The lenses used include a 105 mm f/2.8 VR macro, 200 mm f/2 VR, 300 mm f/2.8 VR, 400 mm f/2.8, and 200-400 mm f/4 VR.