My sister told me that she had coupled a Nikon TC-E 20 II (2x) teleconverter with a 105 mm f/2.8 VR macro lens and has been getting some good macro images. I thought that I had previously tried coupling a teleconverter with the 105 macro and that it didn’t work, but decided to try again. It worked. In this case a Nikon TC-E 20 III (2x) teleconverter with a 105 mm f/2.8 VR macro lens. When I got home after the ISE/SAA Enrichment Voyage to Central America and the Panama Canal I found the Rhododendrons around the house in bloom. To qualify, the only flowers were above level that the local deer could reach last winter.
I am going to need to do a test between the 105 mm f/2.8 VR macro lens with the 2x TC vs. the 200 mm f/4 macro lens.
Image taken 2 years ago today while driving through Yosemite National Park. I noticed something bright red in my rear view mirror. This was not red flashing lights, but rather something red in the woods. I turned around and found these flowers blooming. I did not know what they were — a plant or fungus. They were later identified as Snow Plants (Sarcodes sanguinea). Although plants, they do not use chlorophyll for photosynthesis, but rather get carbohydrates from coniferous trees via a shared mycorrhizal fungus.