The weather held, and I got a second chance to capture an image of the fireflies flashing in my backyard. This time I set up two cameras, reduced the aperture (so a greater distance would be in focus), increased the ISO to increase the brightness (dealt with the increased noise in post processing), and set the focus distance to ~70 feet (locking the focus ring with gaffer tape). This time the composite images were better. I will try again tomorrow.
Fireflies in my backyard. Composite of 110 images taken with a Nikon D3s camera and 600 mm f/4 VR lens. I liked this image, and used the camera parameters to help my efforts to get better images tonight.
It was relatively dark out, and I could see a large number of fireflies out my backyard. I set up a camera, and took a series of images which I used to create a nearly two hour composite image. I am not happy that all of the fireflies were out of focus — I didn’t guess right with the distance from the camera and/or the focus dial moved as I was setting the camera up in the dark. Weather permitting I am going to try again tomorrow night.
Another composite image of fireflies in my backyard. This time with a telephoto lens at f/13 to try to get a deeper depth of field effect. As before, the camera was set up to take 25 second images, and the resultant 110 images combined using the Startrails program.
Yesterday was the first day of summer, and my backyard is full of firelies. I set up a camera to take 25 second images, and then used the Startrails program to combine ~150 image (ISO 400) for the first image and then ~100 images (ISO 6400) for the second image. The D3s can see in the dark, and I didn’t take it all the way up to 100K ISO.