David Mathre Photography

Welcome to my Images of the Day Photo blog. My goal is to post images from each day of the year going back to 2006 when I got my first DSLR camera. Images I post on Google+ are also forwarded to this Photo blog. I am a retired chemist that worked nearly thirty years in the Pharmaceutical industry. I took my first DSLR camera on a road trip across the United States, and became hooked, with my new passion becoming a photographer. I now spend all my time traveling and taking pictures. Since then I have visited over 50 countries, many on Semester at Sea voyages. My photographic interests include travel, the natural world, landscapes, and photographic techniques. I always want to learn something new and the only way to become better is to learn from mistakes.


Eight-Years Ago Today — California

Part 5: Since most of the group didn't have their camera, we just waited out in the parking lot to find out if we would be allowed back to our tent-cabins in Curry village. The guy in the yellow shirt was giving us a briefing. Then this helicopter showed up with someone from the USGS to try and determine if it would be safe, or if there were more rocks ready to fall. About 6 PM we were given the OK to return, and had a pizza at the cafeteria. At the same time our group was at Curry village, there was a very large group of elementary to high school students from a private school. The elementary students were moved to a different camp. The older students stayed at Curry village. As I walked back to my tent-cabin a councilor was talking to the remaining students and made the comment that "a rock falls in Yosemite about once every 9 days, and since the one went down today you will be safe for the rest of your visit." Not a good use of statistics… The next morning, our sub-group left at 4 AM to get to Mono lake for sunrise. When we finished sunrise shoot we got a phone call (someone in the group had a cell phone) telling us not to come back as there was an even bigger rockfall. Fortunately, all of the students were lined up for breakfast at the cafeteria and no one got hurt even though some of the tent-cabins were destroyed. So much for statistics. When we did get back the next day, the park service folks got our stuff out of our tent-cabins, and we got to stay in some of the better hotels in Yosemite.

In album 2016-10-07

Leave a Reply